Mersey Gateway Opening Celebration – Friday 13 October 2017
It has now been confirmed that the Mersey Gateway Bridge will open to vehicles at just after midnight on the morning of Saturday 14 October.
The new bridge will be lit up with a spectacular light show and fireworks display on the evening of Friday 13 October 2017, just a few hours before it opens to traffic.
Friday 13 October 2017. The light show will start at around 8.30pm, followed by the spectacular display, with the event concluding around 9pm.
We have a spectacular display planned and want the public to be able to enjoy the evening in safety. There are two official viewing areas, which we would encourage the public to use. They are located at:
- Mersey Road (in front of Churchill Hall), Runcorn
- Spike Island (in front of the Catalyst Museum), Widnes
How to get there
Pease note there is no official car parking at either venue.
For bus routes and timetables click here.
To ensure public safety, there will be a number of road closures in place around the two viewing areas:
- Road Closure-No Access at junction Waterloo Road/South Bank Terrace from 18:30 – 22:00
- Road Closure – No Access at junction of High St/Bridge St, closure to be 10 yards into Mersey road
- Road Closure – Access to residents only by production of photo ID at junction King Street/Church Street blocking access to Water Street, King Street, Clarence Terrace, Cooper Street and Queen Street
- Church St between Public Hall St and Regent St. temporary closure approx 19:50 – 20:10 controlled by Cheshire Constabulary
- Road closure at junction of Irwell Street/Terrace Road from 18:30 – 22:00 (except buses and taxis)
- Road closure-Access to residents only by production of photo ID only at junction Waterloo Road/Upper Mersey Road and Waterloo Road/W Bank St from 18:30 – 22:00. This will affect the following streets:
Upper Mersey Road, West Bank St, Dock St, St Patrick’s Close, Lower Church St, St Bridget’s Close, Church St, Wilkinson Close, Wright Crescent, Beamont St, St Mary’s Road, Parsonage Road, Hurst St, Alice Court, Chidlow Court, Mersey Road, Terrace Road, White St, Cholmondeley St, Oakland St, Irwell St, Davies Close, James Close, Bridge View Close, Bank St.
Silver Jubilee Bridge:
The footpath will be closed from 20:30 – 21:30
West Bank Residents:
Vehicle access will only be for residents on display of a valid photographic id linked to their address within West Bank (photo card driver’s licence or equivalent).
There will be vendors at each official site, selling a range of food and soft drinks.
There will be a range of merchandise available for sale at the event. Any profits from the sale of merchandise will be given to the Mayor’s charities.
Visitors must not bring any fireworks, alcohol or dogs to the official viewing areas.
In the interests of security, please keep your possessions to a minimum and never leave bags unattended.