Halton Trading Standards wants to make residents aware of a scam which has been happening in other...Read More
Month: April 2020
Halton Borough Council is warning of cold calling workmen who are operating in the area.
A man in his 70s was visited by two men who persuaded him to part with more than £2,000 for painting and decorating. The men took the cash and have not returned to do any work.
Trading Standards Officers said residents should be wary of any traders cold calling at their door or making unsolicited phone calls.
Under the current lockdown measures, it is perfectly acceptable not to answer the door to cold callers who are after work. Protect yourself and your families from the Coronavirus.
Halton Borough Council’s Executive Board Member for Trading Standards, Cllr Dave Cargill, said: “reputable traders are not cold calling people during the lockdown.
Getting traders to do work in your home which is not urgent and which can wait (such as decorating etc) is not acceptable, reputable traders know this.”
If you or somebody you know has been caught out by a scam or fraud please contact one of our specialist officers, Linda or Sue on 0151 511 8785 or 0151 511 8775, who are already working with people in Halton who have lost thousands of pounds to scams.
If you need advice on anything else please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline or 0808 223 1133Read More
- Widnes man found guilty of fireworks offences
- Silver Jubilee Bridge 30mph speed limit
- Statement following the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- Council services reopening from Monday, April 12
- Halton’s leisure centres to reopen on Monday 12 April in line with the Government’s proposed easing of COVID-19 restrictions